Variant 1 51
1. State the part of speech of the word in italics а) participle b) gerund с) noun
1. A student reading foreign journals must know the language well.
2. The building of this house will cost much money.
3. What language is he speaking?
4. Such doings can hardly be explained.
5. The motor was carefully examined before starting.
6. It is useless calling for help.
7. Having tried many other methods, they finally returned to the initial one.
8. I don’ remember having been asked this question.
9. The singing of those folk songs impressed me greatly.
10. Are you dressed for going out?
2. Choose the appropriate form of the Gerund:
1. They accuse him of __ the house.
a) having robbed b) robbing c) being robbed
2. My __ to convince him is of no use.
a) having tried b) trying c) being tried
3. She insisted on her son __ to go home
a) being allowed b) having been allowed c) allowing
4. She confessed to __ to send the letter.
a) forgetting b) having forgotten c) being forgotten
5. The car needs __.
a) being repaired b) having been repaired c) repairing
3. Fill in the gaps:
1. You cannot __ driving without an instructor.
a) learn b) learning c) to learn
2. I am fond of _.
a) read b) reading c) to read
3. She doesn't allow _ in the house.
a) smoke b) smoking c) to smoke
4. I had no idea of his _ Moscow so soon.
a) leaving b) leave c) to leave
5. He must _ it immediately. .
a) doing b) do c) to do
6. She has always dreamt of _ round the world.
a) traveling b) travel c) to travel
7. The place is worth _ .
a) visit b) to visit c) visiting
8. It’s no use _ to him.
a) talking b) to talk c) talk
a) laugh b) to laugh c) laughing
10. _ his homework, he was thinking hard.
a) to do b) do c) doing
4. Choose the right translation of the Gerund:
1. They thanked us for being helpful in this situation.
a) помогающий b) помощь c) помогать
2. I had no idea of his leaving the town so soon.
a) уехавший b) уезжая c) отъезд
3. I avoided speaking to them about the matter.
a) разговаривая b) при разговоре c) разговаривать
4. They went on talking.
a) разговаривая b) разговор c) когда разговаривали
5. She denied having been at home that evening.
a) быть b) была c) когда была
6. They burst out laughing.
a) смех b) смеяться c) смеющийся
7. Would you mind coming again in a day or two?
a) приходя b) прийти c) приходящий
8. My father stopped smoking some years ago.
a) при курении b) курить c) курящий
9. Have you finished washing the dishes yet?
a) мытьё b) помыть c) вымытый
10. He keeps insisting on my going to the south.
a) поехавший b) поездка c) поехать
5. State the function of the Gerund in the sentence:
1. After having done his homework Mark went to the cinema.
2. You should prevent him from taking such a dangerous step.
3. Solving difficult problems is a pleasure for a good scientist.
4. Travelling is his favourite way of spending leisure time.
5. Our aim was preventing troubles.
6. Jane loves talking to the press and appearing on TV shows.
7. Our work resulted in studying new phenomena.
8. Before coming to any conclusion you should thoroughly analyze all the facts.
9. The idea of using the new substance belongs to my scientific adviser.
10. The main point of the discussion is applying the new methods.
b) часть сказуемого;
6. Find 2 sentences with the Gerundial Construction and translate them into Russian:
1. The chief suggests my coming to Germany this summer.
2. He persisted in trying to solve that difficult problem.
3. Everybody looked forward to the President’s coming.
4. He felt like doing gymnastics next season.
5. Students keep on discussing the latest news.