VARIANT 2 42
1. State the function of the verb «be»:
1. The USA is the federal republic.
2. There are hundred participants at the international linguistic conference.
3. Arabic is spoken in the Middle East.
4. The teacher was examining the students from 10 to 12 am.
5. He is to start the work tomorrow.
6. The UK is a state with the highly developed industry.
7. There are no high mountains in Great Britain.
8. Why weren’t you at the lesson yesterday?
9. What is the climate in the USA like?
10. Our friends are to arrive to London at 11 am.
a) смысловой глагол «быть, являться, находиться»;
b) вспомогательный глагол;
d) эквивалент модального глагола must;
e) элемент конструкции «есть, имеется, существует».
2. State the function of the verb «have»:
1. I have already done the laboratory work.
2. He has neither book nor pen.
3. She has to take this medicine three times a day.
4. The new English books and video lessons have been bought by the linguistic center this month.
5. They had to go there earlier.
a) смысловой глагол «иметь»;
b) вспомогательный глагол;
c) эквивалент модального глагола must.
3. Choose the appropriate form of Participle:
1. She had a good practical knowledge of English___as an interpreter for many years in London.
a) working b) having worked c) worked
2. Read the … sentences once more.
a) translating b) translated c) being translated
3. The house … now will be a drama theater.
a) being built b) built c) building
4. When ….foreign languages you should remember it is necessary for your future job.
a) having studied b) studied c) studying
5. … properly , the work was a success.
a)Having been done b) a)having done c) doing
4. Choose the appropriate translation of the words in italics:
2. While translating the article the student learnt plenty new words.
3. The article translated yesterday is rather difficult to understand.
4. Having translated the article I sent it to my English teacher.
5. A student translating the article looks tired.
6. The article being translated by my friend is necessary for his term paper.
7. Though translated into English the article is rather easy for edition.
8. Having been translated into German, the article was published in Berlin.
9. The translated article was sent to the scientific journal .
10. A man translating an article is our new colleague.
с) при переводе
d) которую переводит
h) после того как статью перевели
i) хотя статья переведена
5. State the function of the Participle:
1. Knowing English well he was able to read this book in original.
2. I saw her smiling face in the window.
3. Speaking on the mobile phone he closed the door.
4. They had watched a new film before I came.
5. Being ill, he didn’t completed the project in time.
6. She looked at the broken vase.
7. They are reading a new book now.
8. Look at the man crossing the street.
9. Many schools being constructed contain swimming pools.
10.While translating text we should pay attention to the grammar rules.
b) часть сказуемого;
6. Find 2 sentences with the absolute participial construction and translate them into Russian:
1. The speaker faced the audience, his hand raised for silence.
2. As our work was finished, we went home.
3. There was very little time left, we had to hurry.
4. The weather being cold, he put on his coat.
5. The specialists use computers widely, the latter helping them in many spheres.
UNIT 11. ECOLOGICAL PROBLEMS AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Man is a child of his environment.