Grammar and Vocabulary Exercises 36
VI. Заполните пропуски артиклями, где необходимо, и перескажите первый текст:.
We all know ... name of Chkalov. He was one of ... best (лучший) Russian flyers. In 1937 Chkalov, Baidukov and Beliakov made ... first nonstop (беспосадочный) flight: Moscow -- the North Pole (СеверныйПолюс) — America. It took them 63 hours to get to Portland. They flew by AN-25. That was … very good plane. Though ... flight was difficult
(трудный) the flyers felt well. ... people in America were happy to see ... Russian flyers on their land. They went home by ship. It was ... large ship. It was going to France. There were ... foreign engineers, doctors, teachers and businessmen on ... ship. One day ... American businessman came up to Chkalov and asked, "Are you rich (богатый), Mr. Chkalov?" "Yes I am," answered Chkalov. "I’ve got 170 million." "Have you got 170 million roubles or dollars?" "I’ve got 170 million people. All ... people work for me and I work for them."
1. When they made . . . announcement about .. . Flight 52, all ... passengers went to ... plane. 2. What airport are we going to land at? I believe we’ll land at ... Domodedovo airport. 3. I think you must make her ... present on the 8th of March. 4. I was afraid that they had not received ... cable and would not come to ... airport to meet me. 5. He said that MR. P. had gone on business to ... Caucasus. 6. Have you booked ... tickets for ... theatre? I’m sorry, I haven’t. But I’m going to ... booking-office tonight. 7. What’s ... time? It’s 7.45. 8. ... time flies and ... сhildren will soon go to ... school.
VII. Заполните пропуски предлогами или наречиями и перескажите тексты:
A few days ago Mr. Semenov came ... abroad. He had gone ... business . . . Great Britain. He had instructions to place an order ... chemical equipment.
Mr. Semenov came . .. Moscow ... TU-104. It took him tliree and a half hours to get home. He had got . . . the plane . . . London airport ... 8 o’clock ... the morning. The plane landed ... Vnukovo airport ... half ... eleven.
His friends had come to meet him and Mr. Semenov was glad to see them.
It didn’t take him long to go ... the Customs. He had no things liable ... duty. He filled ... a declaration and gave it ... a Customs Official. The Customs official came … … Mr Semenov and asked him to open his suit-case ... 15 minutes all the formalities (формальности) were ...
Mr. Semenov took his suit-case and joined his friends. The car was already waiting ... them. They got into the car and went home.
— Where were you yesterday ... 5 and 6 o’clock? I phoned you.
— I’m sorry, I was nol ... I went . . . the Bolshoi Theatre booking-office to book tickets . . .
— And what will be ... ?
— «Romeo and Juliette». I’ve booked two seats. Will you join me?
— I’ll be happy to. When and where shall we meet?
— Let’s meet ... a quarter ... six. I’ll be waiting ... you outside the theatre.
VIII. Закончите следующие предложения, употребив дянные в скобках слева и словосочетания:
1. When I came into the waiting-room of the airport (all the passengers ... to wait . ..). 2. Before Mr. Sobolev got on the plane (to fill in a declaration). 3. Since the representative of a British firm arrived in Moscow, (... to place a few orders). 4. We heard (... to feel bad). 5 The secretary told us (... to go on business). 6. We found out (... to arrive). 7. The passenger asked the Customs Official (... to be liable to duty). 8. The Customs Official answered (... to be duty free).
9. I did not know (... to go abroad). 10. The engineers said (... to show us the new machines).
IX. Заполните пропуски активными словами:
Customs-Office, announcement, to land, airport, to go through the customs, to arrive, waiting-room, to declare, to fly, from abroad, flight, to feel well, plane.
The other day I went to Sheremetievo ... to meet my friend. He and his wife were coming back .... When our bus ... at the airport . . . had not yet landed. It was frosty outside and I went into the airport .... There were a lot of people there. Some of them were waiting for the ... to get on the plane, others had come there to meet or to see off (проводить) their friends.
In 15 minutes the plane .... My friends went to the .... They had no things to ... and it didn’t take them long to .... My friends said they had enjoyed the ... and although the jet-liner ... at a high speed they ....
My friend and his wife were very happy to be back.
X. Ответьте на следующие вопросы, обращая внимание на глаголы to say, totell, tospeak.
1. What foreign language do you speak? 2. In what countries do people speak this language? 3. Can you say that you know this language well? 4. Who speaks this language in your family? 5. What do you say when you do not hear some words?
1. Did you go to see a doctor when you felt bad? 2. What did the doctor tell you to do? 3. What did the doctor tell you not to do? 4. Did your friend phone you when you felt bad? 5. What did you speak to him about? 6. Did you speak English or Russian to your friend?
1. What do your children say when they get up? 2. What do they say when they go to bed? 3. What do you say when you meet your friend? 4. What do you say when your friend gives you an interesting book to read?
1. Do you like speaking at meetings? 2. When did you have your last meeting at the office? 3. How many people spoke at it? 4. How long did they speak? 5. What did they speak about at the meeting?