Calling off an appointment 378
Stepanova, an interpreter with our Embassy in London, has an appointment with the dentist, but she has caught a bad cold, so she won't be able go. She has rung up the dentist's office and is speaking to the nurse.
Nurse: Hello! Dr. Robertson's office.
Nelly: Good morning. My name's Stepanova. I've got an appointment for three o'clock this afternoon, but I won't be able to keep it, I’m afraid.
1. Прочитайте вслух и переведите на русский язык:
1. Someone wants to see you, Mr. Bennett.
2. Is there anything interesting on the telly tonight?
3. I can't suggest anything else, I'm afraid.
4. Nobody has ever had any trouble with this equipment.
5. I have nothing against it.
6. I see nothing new in this design.
7. I think we've met somewhere before, haven't we?
8. I've already looked for my telephone book everywhere. I can't find it anywhere.
9. Is there anything urgent to-day?
10. ''Is there anything interesting in the catalogue?" "No, nothing special."
11. It isn’t my key, I'm afraid, it's somebody else's.
2. Заполните пропуски словами, оканчивающимися на -body, -thing, -where.
1. I wouldn’t like to give ... any trouble, but we’ll have to put off our meeting, I'm afraid. I can't do ... about it.
2. ... understands me as well as you do.
3. ... was congratulating him on his success and he looked happy.
4. Is ... ready for the talks?
5. They sell that book ... so you can buy it easily.