Exercise 3. Write a short essay on one of the following topics. 1. Buying Delicac.. 1016
Write a short essay on one of the following topics.
1. Buying Delicacies Gives the Greatest Pleasure When One Hasn't Got Enough Money.
2. Shopping for Food — a Boring Routine or a Revealing Experience?
3. Why I Always Buy Food in the Same Place.
4. The Main Principles I Observe When I Shop for Food.
5. Why Men and Women Have Different Styles of Shopping for Food.
Punctuation (continued from page 82).
A colon is put:
1) before an enumeration (e.g. The reasons are as follows: we haven't prepared well enough, the circumstances are unfavourable and there is no help);
2) between clauses when the second clause is an explanation or an extension of the first one (e.g. Some things we can, and others we cannot do: we can walk, but we cannot fly);
3) before a short quotation (e.g. Always remember the ancient maxim: Know thyself).
A semicolon is put:
1) between asyndetic coordinate clauses in complex sentences (e.g. He was the only guest present who had never met her; he decided that matters would be easier if he walked up and introduced himself);
2) between extended homogeneous parts of the sentence, particularly if there are other punctuation marks within them (e.g. I thought that we had to act quickly; that we had to do something, to get the information). (to be continued on page 198).
Lesson 6 SHOPPING FOR CONSUMER GOODS