Agree appear continue disappear move reach show solve write 23
My children his calculation my ladder the idea my students
1. At the beginning of tern I supply….. a list of books I want them to read.
2. A company wants to build a huge new wildlife park outside Huddersgate, but the local people regard…..ridiculous.
3. I tried to interest…….washing my car, without success.
4. He based……government statistics.
5. I lent……. my next door neighbour.
Now complete these sentences with an appropriate preposition + one of these phrases. (Теперь закончите эти предложения с соответствующим предлогом + одну из этих фраз.)
A vaccine to prevent the disease being called English London and Sydney my mother public recognition
6. The location of the film alternates………. .
7. Their years of research have culminated……… .
8. Although he aspired …….. he remained relatively unknown.
9. She objects………as she was actually born in Scotland.
10. I had to care…….(my mother) when she became seriously ill.
2. Choose the present simple or present continuous for the verbs in these texts.
1. Fletcher … (pass) to Coles who … (shoot) just over the bar. United … (attack) much more in this half...
2. A man …. (come) home late one night after the office Christmas party. His wife … (wait) for him, and she ___ (say) to him...
3. Now that the rice … (cook) you …. (chop up) the carrots and tomatoes and you … (put) them in a dish...
Choose a verb with either the present perfect or the past simple for simple for these sentences.
agree appear continue disappear move reach show solve write
1) Research ...........that cycling can help patients overcome their illness.
2) The rabbit just .......... in my garden one day last week.
3) With this promotion, I feel that I ............ a turning point in my career.
4) Oh no ! my car .......!
5) Quite early in the negotiations , they ......... to lower the prices.
6) In 1788 he ........... his last great work in Vienna
7) There's not much more to do , now that we ......... the main problem .
8) Throughout the summer of 1980 Malcolm .......... to divide his time between London and New York.
9) When he was 13, his parents .......... to the united states.
4. Write an appropriate negative question for each situation.Use –n`t in your answer.
1. A: Can you show me where her office is? (…there before?)
B: Why? Haven`t you been here before?
2. A: I`m afraid I won`t be able to give you lift home. (…drive here?)
B: Why not? Didn`t you drive here?
3. A: I`ve left my job at Ronex. (…happy there?)
B: Why? Weren`t you happy there?
4. A: Will you help me look for my purse? (…where you put it?)
B: Why? Don`t you remember where you put it?
5. A: Maybe it would be better not to give that vase to Jane for Christmas. (…like it?)
B: Why not? Don't you think she'll like it?
6. A: We might as well go home now. (… we can do to help?)
B: Why? Isn't there anything we can do to help?
Do the same for these situations. You are particularly surprised or annoyed.
7. A: I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer. (…supposed to be / expert / the subject?)
B: Why not? Are you not supposed to be on expert on the subject?
8. A: I was expecting you at 8 o'clock. (…my message / would be late?)
B: Why? Didn`t you get my message that I would be late?
9. A: I haven't been able to finish the work. (…my instructions?)
B: Why not? Didn`t you get my instructions?
5. Expand the notes and write two alternative negative questions in each situation. In the first use -n't; in the second use one of: never, no, nobody, nothing, nowhere.
1. (not / anything / me to do?)
- Isn`t there anything for me to do? / Is there nothing for me to do? In that case I`ll go home.
2. (no any sign / Don / station)
- Wasn`t there any sign of Don at the station? / Was there no sign of Don at the station?
- No, I didn`t see him.
3. (why / not ever phone me)
- Why you don`t ever phone me? / Why do you never phone me? I always have to contact you.
4. (can / not find anybody / come with you)
- Can`t you find anybody to come with you? / Can you find nobody to come with you?
- No, everyone is bisy.
5. – I`ll have to leave my bike in the kitchen.
(not / anywhere else / to put it)
- Isn`t there anywhere else to put it? / Is there nowhere to put it?
6. Would you expect Yes or No in these conversations?
1. - You're not a student, are you?
- Yes, I'm studying French and History.
2. - Couldn't you leave work early?
- No, I've got too much to do.
3. - Don't you want to wait to find out the results?
- No, I think I'll come back later.
4. - Aren't you feeling well?
- No, I'm just a bit worried, that's all.
5. - Wouldn't you like another coffee?
- Yes, that would be lovely.
6. - Didn't you tell me that your uncle was an explorer?
- No, he was an astronomer.
7. Make any appropriate suggestion using either Why not + verb or Why don't you....
1. My doctor has advised me to lose weight.
Why not to go in for sports?
2. I have to visit Spain for my work and I need to improve my Spanish.
Why not to converse with Hispanic?
3. I've just bought a boat and I need to give it a name.
Why not call it “Jane?”
4. More and more heavy lorries are going past my house. It's noisy and dangerous.
Why don`t you move to another house?